Apparently besides being an Oscar winning actress, Katharine Hepburn has a sweet tooth herself and this was her favourite brownie recipe… I have to say having tried this, it is also now our family’s favourite brownie recipe… not sure if it’s because it uses melted chocolate and has an overdose of walnuts? but my hubby said the aroma is unbeatable… even the coach said it was too good to resist…. so even a health freak cannot stop sinking his teeth into this, shouldn’t you be trying it now?
Katharine Hepburn Brownies (recipe adapted from here)
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
2. Place the butter and chopped chocolate in a medium bowl set over a small saucepan of barely simmering water over low heat. Warm the chocolate and butter, stirring constantly, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk in the sugar, then whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour, salt and chopped walnuts.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing it into an even layer. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
– I used 70% Valrhona chocolate and 1/3 cup of sugar
– I baked in mini baking cups, and baked for 20 mins
Pollution index: 105 (unhealthy)