remember those cookies from the blue tin? i used to eat it directly from the tin and remembering the circle ones and those with raisins being my favourite… (wait.. there were those cookies with raisins right? (?・・)σ) there are so many of these recipes floating on the net… i cannot be sure if this is authentic as it seem to be a basic butter cookie BUT it definitely SMELLS & TASTE like the same! this.. is just gorgeous…
75g butter (I used Golden Churn canned butter)
50g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (lightly beaten)
150g cake flour (remove 1 tbsp)
pinch of baking powder
1 tbsp skim milk powder
1 egg white
Dry Demerara sugar for sprinkling
– Cream butter, sugar and salt with electric beater till pale and fluffy.
– Add in egg yolk and beat till well incorporated.
– Sieve in the flour and baking powder, add in the milk powder, use the lowest speed of your electric beater to combine. Mixture will be bread-crumbs like and will form a dough easily.
– Put dough into a plastic bag and roll it into a flat sheet. Chill in the fridge till harden before cutting out the cookie.
– Cut out cookie with cutter. Brush on some egg white and sprinkle dry demerara sugar on the surface.
– Bake on a lined tray at 180C for 10 minutes in the middle rack and shift to the upper rack and bake a further 2 – 3 minutes to get the golden brown color. (i baked mine at 170C for 8mins)
Notes from Florence
1. The sprinkling of the dry demerara sugar is optional. If you omit this step, please increase sugar to 60g.
2. Please really use only a pinch of baking powder as you don’t want the cookie to be out of shape when it is baking in the oven.
3. Chill the dough again if it is too soft to be cut out
– i pinched a handful, and coloured them separately with bright red, egg yellow and matcha powder and made them into russian matryoshka dolls (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:・ﾟ✧
– i baked my cookies at 170C for 12 mins (as i cut out thicker cookies)
– i omitted the baking powder and the cookie still puffed up a little. so i’m pretty sure you can omit it entirely
Pollution index: 28 (excellent)